Friday, March 8, 2013

sewing doll clothes, Knitting and Life Lessons...



                           Sewing doll clothes, Knitting and Life Lessons

  
 Lately my craft projects have leaned to creating things for the smallest among us, which is babies and American Girl dolls. These tiny knit preemie caps, miniature knit leggings, and bathrobes are fun and quick to make, but they also have lessons to teach me. 

  One of these lessons is that small things take precision, because mistakes stand out much more in a miniature craft than in a large crafted item. This is difficult for me, as precision is not one of my strong points. Yet, I am learning to take the time to finish seams properly, or weave in the yarn on a finished cap so that it doesn't unravel. 


  Another lesson that creating small things for the smallest among us has taught me is persistence. Persistence is also not one of my strong points, but since small crafts tend to take less time than sewing or knitting for an adult, I tend to finish the item, rather than start five things at once, only to finish none of them.


  I have also learned that there is a singular and personal joy in completing a project, big or small. Something about having followed a pattern correctly, and having the project actually turn out like the picture on the pattern is it's own reward. Seeing the smile on the face of our granddaughter when she gets these small gifts is the icing on the cake!


~Kathy~

No comments:

Post a Comment